Monday, August 29, 2011

Okra Rice

I have been wanting to make something with Okra ever since I saw it being used on Mastechef last summer and since I tasted it at a local Indian restaurant. So when I spotted a bag of Okra at my local Asian Market, Ranch 99, I knew it was about time. I searched through allrecipes.com to find this interesting looking recipe. It turned out pretty good and the Okra was tasty. It was fun to make something new with an incredibly new ingredient. 

Ingredients:
1 pound bacon - cooked and crumbled
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra
fresh corn (optional)
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 cup uncooked rice
1 1/2 cups water


Directions:
1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Remove bacon, crumble bacon and set aside.
2. In the same skillet, saute onion and bell pepper in a small amount of reserved bacon grease over medium high heat until tender, about 3 minutes. Add crumbled bacon, sliced okra, and chicken broth. Reduce heat and simmer until okra is tender and falling apart, about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in rice and water. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until fluffy.
4. Serve hot, enjoy!

Recipe adapted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/okra-rice/detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment