Saturday, January 21, 2012

Orange Marmalade Pork Chops

So I have some orange marmalade in my fridge that I love to use on toast, but for some reason I thought to myself that the orange marmalade could make a great sauce for pork. I have eaten cranberry, pineapple, and the ever so famous apple pork, but never orange. I did some research online to help me come up with a recipe. The recipe below is what I came up with and I have to say that I really impressed myself, who knew orange and red onion could taste so good together. Plus, the resulting onion and orange marmalade sauce tasted great mixed in with the cous cous I served as a side. 




Ingredients:
2 large pork chops
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp olive oil

1 Tbsp orange olive oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
1/3 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp soy sauce

Directions:
1. Begin by removing pork chops from packaging and rubbing both sides of each chop with olive oil.
2. In a small bowl, combine the cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle and rub seasoning combination onto each side of the chops. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
3. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil to medium heat in a medium-sized Dutch oven. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes, stirring ever so often. Lower heat if burning begins to occur.
4. Once onions are tender, add marmalade, wine, chicken broth, and soy sauce to the Dutch oven. Combine and stir until marmalade becomes liquified. Allow wine and broth to burn off (evaporate) by bringing to a boil and simmering for 10-15 minutes.
5. Increase heat to medium-low, add pork chops to the Dutch oven. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on each side until pork is fully cooked. Remove pork chops. Cook remaining onion sauce mixture until most liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Serve pork chops with a spoonful of onion sauce mixture. Enjoy!

Recipe inspired by Cooking Light

No comments:

Post a Comment