Monday, October 8, 2012

Zuppa Toscana

 One of my most favorite soups is Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden. I love the overall flavor with the kale and sausage. Recently after I did a brief cleanse for 4 days, I begged Nick to take me to Olive Garden to get some endless soup and salad. I ordered Zuppa Toscana and I was a tad disappointed because my first bowl was from the bottom of the barrel with barely any kale and my second bowl had way too many potatoes. After that experience, I decided the best way to get this soup from now on is to just make it myself, especially since a bunch of kale is much cheaper out here in the MidWest than it is back at home. Anywho, I made it this time around and it was the perfect soup to ring in the Fall.


Ingredients:
1 lb Italian sausage (I prefer hot Italian sausage), casings removed
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
4 strips of bacon
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups potatoes, sliced and chopped
2 cups kale, chopped

Directions:
1. Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
2. In the same pot, sauté bacon, onions and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Remove cooked bacon, crumble, then return to pot.
3. Add chicken broth and heat until it starts to boil. Add the sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
4. Add the heavy cream and cook until thoroughly heated.
5. Stir in the sausage and the kale, let all heat through and serve hot. Enjoy!

 Recipe adapted from: http://restaurant.food.com/recipe/olive-garden-copycat-zuppa-toscana-38298?oc=linkback

1 comment:

  1. made this today Liz - delicious!! Taking it over to a new mama tomorrow with some bread - perfect comfort soup - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete