Happy Belated Cinco de Mayo!
So I made taco salad tonight, a day late, but that's okay. My mother used to make it this way. You can make it with no meat but I added some ground beef since Nick doesn't like beans. The meat helps disguise the refried beans.
1 bunch of cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey (this ingredient is optional and can be left out to make this dish vegetarian)
1 can jalapeno refried beans
1 can sweet yellow corn, drained
1 bag of tortilla chips, your choice (white or yellow corn)
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 head of lettuce, chopped
1 cup of Mexican cheese (I used jalapeno cheddar), grated
Catalina Dressing, use as needed
You can add some guacamole or salsa as a garnish to give some added flavor
1. Warm up 1 tbsp of oil to Medium heat in a large skillet. Add half of the cilantro and half of the red onions to the skillet and saute for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the ground beef and chili powder to the skillet. Mix ingredients together and cook until meat has browned (skip this step if you want to make it vegetarian).
3. Add the can of refried beans and corn to the skillet. Mix it all together and cook until beans are warm.
4. Fill a large bowl 1/3rd full with tortilla chips, add meat/bean mixture and toss until tortilla chips are covered in meat/bean mixture. Feel free to add extra chips.
5. Then add the rest of the ingredients, the other half of cilantro, the other half of red onion, tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese. Top off with some Catalina dressing and some guacamole for garnish. Enjoy!