Thursday, May 20, 2010
Fresh Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
I had my girls over for dinner the other night and so I made one of my old time favorites that I learned from my mother:
Tomato Basil Pasta
1 1/3 cups Olive Oil, divided
2 cups basil leaves (measure before chopping), chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
10 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 bag of long noodles, cooked and ready to serve (my preference is Capellini)
I like to add some grated Parmesan as a garnish.
You can also serve the pasta with some Italian sausage or some Italian grilled chicken.
1. Heat 1/3 cup of oil in a deep skillet type pan, I use my 3-1/2 quart covered saute pan since it is deep and has a lid.
2. Add basil and garlic and saute on low for a good 10 minutes, stirring often.
3. Next, add tomatoes and 1 cup of oil and bring sauce to a boil.
4. Once sauce has boiled, turn heat to low and cover for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
5. After a half hour, the tomatoes should be fairly disintegrated, try and make sure they are mushy and that the sauce is in fact a sauce. You may want to add extra oil or 1/2 cup of water if the liquid has evaporated from the sauce.
6. Once you think the sauce looks complete, add it to the pasta and serve immediately. Feel free to add some grated Parmesan and Enjoy!