Monday, January 31, 2011

Rice Noodle Stir Fry




I bought some tofu the other day and I thought it would be fun to see if I could make a delicious meal with it. I made this tofu stir fry with rice noodles and although it turned out pretty good, I would have to say that tofu is not for me. I think it would be better if maybe it was more of a soup and I didn't have to chew the tofu, so yeah for me this dish would've been much better without the tofu. So include tofu if you like it or eliminate it if you don't because the noodles and stir fry veggies were perfect on their own.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1-2 onions, chopped (I used 1 red onion and 1/2 white onion)
1 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
1 8-12 oz package of rice noodles (I used the flat skinny kind)
1 tbsp chili paste (more or less depending on your spice tolerance)
1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup green snap peas
1 lb package of extra firm tofu, chopped into bite size squares (optional)

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a wok to medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and saute until tender, about 5-10 minutes. Reduce heat if onions begin to burn.
2. Meanwhile, cook your rice noodles and set aside.
3. Add the mushrooms to garlic onion mix. Saute, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the chili paste, Hoisin, and broth. Stir until all ingredients are combined within the wok.
5. Add the broccoli, carrots, and snap peas. Mix all together and cook/steam with the lid on for about 5-10 minutes until those veggies meet your favorite consistency. I like mine cooked pretty well.
6. (If you are not using tofu then skip step 6 and 7) Meanwhile, in a separate skillet. Remove some of the liquid from the wok and put into the skillet. Heat the skillet to medium heat. Add the tofu and cook on each side so that the tofu gets a grilled texture to it. Do not overcook.
7. Add the tofu to the wok and combine ingredients, being careful to not mush the tofu.
8. Add the cooked rice noodles to the wok and combine everything so that all the ingredients are spread around evenly. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment