Sunday, May 8, 2011

Banana Cake

Happy Mother's Day!
I had some more ripe bananas that needed to be used but I also wanted to bake a cake for my momma and so I stumbled upon this recipe and it was perfect for what I was looking to make. I decided I would make some strawberry banana cupcakes by baking banana cake cupcakes and topping them with whip cream and a fresh strawberry, they were a perfect mother's day dessert. Oh also, I bought some "Sun Crystals" sugar, which is a stevia/sugar mix, which is a more natural and lighter sweetener. I had yet to bake with it and so I decided to give it a try with this recipe. In the end the cake still tasted great and completely normal, but with less calories...awesome!


Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar (I used 3/4 cups sun crystals)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup sour milk (sour milk can be created by combining 2 tbsp vinegar and enough milk to make 1 cup, stir, then measure out 3/4 cup of that mixture)
1 cup mashed bananas
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Directions
1. In a large bowl, mix together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, sift together flour, salt, soda, and baking powder. Add these dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and whisk together until smooth. 
3. Next add sour milk and bananas to the batter. Beat together well until all ingredients are blended well.
4. Grease two 9 inch round cake pans, or one 9 x 13 inch pan, or prepare for 24 cupcakes. 
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 17 to 20 minutes for the layered cakes, or for 25 to 40 minutes for the sheet cake, or 15 minutes for the cupcakes. Insert a toothpick into cake, cake is ready when toothpick comes out clean. Prepare cakes to your liking and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Cake-II/Detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment