I have seen and heard of many grilled pizza recipes before but have never given them a try, until now. I believe it is safe to say that I may never go back to making oven baked pizza. Grilling the pizza was amazing, not only because we didn't have to use the oven and heat up our house, but because they had such a fresh and thoroughly good taste. What was a cool too was that we had individual pizzas rather than one large pizza, this way when I had some of my girls over, we were all able to create our own individual pizzas with exactly the ingredients we each wanted to use. They turned out delicious!
Serving Size: 3-4 Individual Pizzas
1 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 tsp white sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C, hot water from faucet will work)
1 cups wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
Additional flour for rolling
Additional oil for grilling
Shredded mozzarella cheeseOther toppings as desired
1. In a large stand mixer bowl, combine yeast and sugar in warm water until dissolved. Let it stand for about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in flours, salt, oil, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning to the mixing bowl. Beat on low until smooth. Cover and let rise for 10-20 minutes.
4. Divide dough into 3 or 4 portions. Pat or roll dough on a well-floured counter to about 8-inch circles; they do not need to be perfect.
5. Brush both sides of crust with additional oil. Using hands, lift each crust carefully and place on grill. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until bottom is lightly browned and top looks set. Using long handled tongs, remove crust from grill, grilled side up, to a platter or baking sheet.
6. Lightly add sauce and top the grilled side of each pizza crust. Excess sauce or toppings can make the pizza hard to handle. Repeat with remaining pizzas.
7. Carefully slide each pizza onto the grill. Cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes with the lid closed, until bottom of crust is browned and cheese is melted. Remove from grill and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-pizza/detail.aspx