Sunday, July 10, 2011

Asian Orange Chicken

One of my most favorite easy quick meals is orange chicken from Trader Joe's and so I have never attempted making it myself since the Trader Joe's version is so simple and delicious. I found this awesome recipe when I was searching for an Asian chicken recipe and since I had all the necessary ingredients I thought I 'd give it a try. It turned out very delicious and it was pretty easy to make, it was nice too because the chicken was not deep fried first, therefore healthier. I know I will have to make this again and I highly recommend that you do too.



Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 can of water chestnuts (optional)

1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
1/3 cup warm water
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp white vinegar
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (add more if you like more spice)
1 tbsp grated orange peel
2 tsp cornstarch 2 tbsp cold water
green onions for garnish

Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat, and add the onions, water chestnuts and the chicken. Stir the onions and chicken until the outside of the chicken is golden brown and the inside is no longer pink, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Meanwhile in a bowl, stir together warm water, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, ketchup, white vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes, and orange peel until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is well combined. Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover the skillet. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Whisk the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl until smooth, and stir into the chicken and sauce, a few teaspoons at a time. Let the chicken and sauce cook for about 2 minutes to thicken, then serve over hot cooked rice, sprinkled with green onion. Enjoy!
 
Recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mamas-asian-chicken-and-rice/detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment