Sunday, February 10, 2013

Basil Coconut Curry

 
I have been a little addicted to Indian food lately and so I finally made a plan to learn to make Indian food at home, the only problem being that I haven't found a local Indian market to buy all the necessary ingredients yet. Luckily I found this recipe for basil coconut curry that is made with ingredients I already have in my house. I decided to give it a try. I should've known from the listed ingredients that it was a spicy dish but I did not realize until we sat down to eat it, thank God both Nick and I have a high tolerance for heat. I really enjoyed this dish, it was unlike anything I have ever had in an Indian restaurant but still very enjoyable.

Ingredients:
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp chili powder
1 medium red onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (by seeding the jalapeno you lose most of the spice/heat but retain great flavor)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
3 cups hot cooked rice

Directions:
1. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl. Stir together curry, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and chili powder. Sprinkle over chicken, tossing to coat evenly. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
2. In a large nonstick frying pan, stir onion, basil, garlic and peppers in hot oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add chicken and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 5-6 minutes until no longer pink.
3. Combine coconut milk and cornstarch and whisk well to combine. Carefully add to skillet, whisking vigorously. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in ginger. Cook and stir for another minute. Serve over hot rice and enjoy!
 Recipe adapted from Mels Kitchen Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment