In preparation for a half marathon I will be running in less than two weeks, I am starting to eat up as much potassium and health foods as possible. So what better than some nice banana bread to get some great potassium. The problem is most banana bread, although not the worst for you, it is not the best, especially the other recipe I have posted. I decided to mess around and find a recipe that had the most natural ingredients and low sugar as possible. I think this recipe turned out pretty good and I felt pretty guiltless eating it. You should definitely give it a try if you are looking for a healthy alternative to regular banana bread.
1 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats, grounded fine
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp baking powder mixed with 2 tbsp hot water
1-2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, beat apple sauce, honey, hot water, and sugar together. Add eggs, and mix well.
3. Stir in bananas and vanilla.
4. Stir in flour, oatmeal, and salt.
5. Add baking soda and powder to hot water, stir to mix, and then add to batter. If nuts are desired then blend in chopped nuts (or top uncooked loaf with nuts before baking to give the loaf a nutty crust).
Recipe adapted from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Whole-Wheat-Banana-Nut-Bread/Detail.aspx