Saturday, September 11, 2010

Babbi's Sauerkraut Pierogi

sauerkraut
Saurkraut Pierogi
My Babbi, aka grandmother, taught me how to make these pierogies. Pierogi are considered a traditional Czechoslovakian dish and what I've learned after some research online is that every Czech family makes their pierogi differently, with a different dough and different fillings. The most common pierogi consists of a homemade dough, potatoes, and cheese. Babbi has edited her recipe over the years and this recipe is what I have come to know. Babbi taught me to consolidate the prep time by using wonton wrappers as the dough and mashed potatoes, cheese, and sauerkraut as the filling. Babbi used to prepare these as an appetizer for  our family's special occasion dinners and I have had the pleasure of helping her prepare these multiple times. Sadly, this year when it was time for Papa's (grandpa's) 90th Birthday, I had to make them by myself since Babbi is currently in Hospice care. Please keep her in your prayers and enjoy this wonderful traditional dish that she has brought into our lives.

Happy Birthday Papa!


Serving: 60 pierogies

Ingredients:
1 16 oz can of Sauerkraut
2 tbsp butter
2 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup of shredded cheese of your liking, I used Colby Jack and Cheddar Mix
1 package of wonton wrappers, about 60 squares, dimensions are about 4" by 4"
1 cup of water at room temperature
1/3 cup of oil, divided
flour for surfaces
sour cream and grilled onions for topping (optional)

Directions:
1. Melt the butter in a skillet on medium heat, add the sauerkraut and saute in the butter for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
2. Once sauerkraut is cooked, combine the sauerkraut in a bowl with the mashed potatoes, so that they become sauerkraut mashed potatoes.
3. Now begin stuffing and preparing your pierogi. I use a type of assembly line, where I have my sauerkraut potatoes in a bowl, my cheese in a bowl, and a cup of water for sealing the dough. You might want to sprinkle some flour on the surfaces you are working with so that the wonton wrappers don't stick.
4. Begin by taking one wonton wrapper at a time, lie it out on the floured surface and gently place the fillings in the middle of the square. Use about 1 teaspoon of sauerkraut potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon of the shredded cheese per wonton wrapper.
5. Next, fold the wonton paper corner to corner to create a triangle. In order for it to seal, dip your finger in the water and dampen the corners of the wrapper. Once closed, dampen the outside corners as well and squeeze the corners together or use a spoon to gently mush them together, to make sure it is truly sealed.
Repeat until you are out of ingredients. Place finished pierogi on a floured surface on the side. Do not place uncooked pierogi on top of one another because the wonton wrappers stick to each other.
      
6. When you are ready to cook the pierogi, do it in batches based on how many will fit in your largest frying pan. For each batch (about 10 pierogi), heat up about 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan to about medium heat. Gently and carefully place the pierogi in the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until slightly browned. Do not walk away because they can burn easily. Repeat until all pierogi are cooked.
7. Once pierogi are cooked, serve warm with sour cream and grilled onions as a topping. Enjoy!

Thanks Babbi, I love you!

3 comments:

  1. thank you Liz for sharing, both kinds were awesome !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you featured Babbi’s favorite!!
    She would be soo Proud and proud of you as you do know I am!!
    I am lucky and blessed you will continue our Czech traditions, even
    more than I will, especially after I am gone.
    I Love You My Little Bit,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. We continue to make my wife's mother's old recipe from Poland. Good food and good memories go hand in hand. Thoughts and prayers with you and the family.

    ReplyDelete